When I asked one of my very good friends — Google Translator the meaning of the word, I always struggle with, he returned to me with a 19 noun synonyms and one phrase. I was curious: is this all me? Ok. Let’s analyze it.
- coward – looks like it is the most literal correspondence of what I meant
- capon – maybe this one also, but I do not like the way it is wrote and sounded/.
- craven – it’s almost like raven. But ravens are not cowards. They more like robbers. You must have a bit of courage to go to somebody’s house and take somebody’s belongings against the owner’s will.
- poltroon – for Russian speaking and not very educated person it feels like senseless set of words. Don’t like it and will forget this word.
- funk – hey! it’s something in between punk and fun. How the mixture of punk and fine can describe a coward? Do not believe it.
- sneak – it sounds and looks like: “steal, and hideaway”. Quite an ugly definition. Not what I meant, but I’ll keep this word in my mind.
- Chicken – yeah. This bird has unbelievable international meaning.
- dastard – this is almost like point 6 – somebody who does ugly things hiddenly. He can’t help from doing them, but too scared to do it openly.
- turnback – it’s easy. It’s like somebody who intend to do something, or promised to help – and the very last moment he became too scared, turn his back and run away.
- caitiff – for me – just senseless set of letters and sounds. Just something to remember.
- patsy – same as 10
- recreant – same as 10
- quitter – somebody who quit at the very last moment.
- pikelet – same as 10
- yellow-belly – strange definition. But I can understand it. As yellow color in Russian is a color of betrayal. And those who betray are always scared. I don’t know, how others, but when i’m scared – I feel it with my belly.
- faint-heart – haha. It’s about people who used to say that their heart is weak and that’s why they cannot stand it. To excuse their cowardness.
- chicken-liver – it’s the same as point 7. Even in more stressed manner, cos chicken liver is the tenderest part of a chicken. Btw… I like chicken liver a lot. To eat. When it stewed in a cream with mushrooms. Am I a cannibal?
- rat – one more international meaning. Rats will be rats forever. It will never change.
- milksop – what’s that? Milk – ok. It’s mild and innocent. So, it should be a definition of somebody, who excuses the cowardnes, with soft character.
The most confusing thing is the phrase “yellow dog” as a definition. Cos dogs – are not scared usually. Especially mine. Yes. He can pretend to be soft and tender. But if it’s about protecting me – he’s a lion. He’ll tear apart anybody. Yes. Yellow – is a part of ginger color. But the best part of it – it gives o normal brown golden hint (joke! just joke!). But my doggie is gorgeous and definitely do not coward.
They say when you accept a problem – it’s already 50% of the decision. Ok. I accepted. It doesn’t work. No any decision for me – I’m a coward. But it does not help me to become a brave person. So I am going to start my own theory in several knowledges:
- Psychology – after you accept a problem – you must analyze it. And research all possible definition of the problem – to know exactly what are you fighting with. (Am I inventing a bicycle again?)
- Etymology – why for every word in one language it is often plenty of definitions in the other? Why not all languages have equial correspondense?
- Ok. this is a kind of P.S, for fighting with fears:
- Margarita and Tequila is best girl’s and coward’s friend. If the friendship doesn’t make you feeling better – just add more Tequila. Trust me. I know women © and cowards.
I do not understand: you’re afraid of your own shadow, but risking your life to prevent me
Cowards die many times
In the end, cowards are those who follow the dark side
It is discouraging how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit
Courage is the fear of being thought a coward.
Despair gives courage to a coward.
Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended.
I'm a charming coward; I fight with words.
It is better to be the widow of a hero than the wife of a coward.
None but a coward dares to boast that he has never known fear.
Only the brave know how to forgive... a coward never forgave; it is not in his nature.
The coward sneaks to death; the brave live on.
The coward's weapon, poison.
The man who gets drunk in peacetime is a coward. The man who gets drunk in wartime goes on being a coward.
The real hero is always a hero by mistake; he dreams of being an honest coward like everybody else.
You cannot be a hero without being a coward.
Cowards do not count in battle; they are there, but not in it
A coward gets scared and quits. A hero gets scared, but still goes on.
There are at least two kinds of cowards. One kind always lives with himself, afraid to face the world. The other kind lives with the world, afraid to face himself.